House numbers are a way to set your house apart from everyone elses and show a little personality at the same time. We wanted something bold, modern and a bit different when it came to the numbers that would identify our house. We've actually had the supplies for this DIY project since about a week after we moved in, but due to every other thing seeming more important we didn't get around to it until this past weekend and I am kicking myself that it took me 6 months to do it because I am beyond thrilled with how it turned out.
We started with a piece of black plexiglass that Jeff snagged from his previous job ($25). It was a bit too big so we used our chop saw to cut it to size.
We got these great mod-ish numbers from Lowe's for $8 each. Do you know how hard it is to find reasonably priced modern items? Hard! At one point we thought we'd have to order something online which would have set us back over $75. Luckily Lowe's had just what we were looking for.
We figured out the placement of the numbers and using the handy drill guide we made our holes for the posts.
Using the holes on the plexi as a guide, we marked on our brick column where we needed to drill and Jeff got to work.
Next we attached the screw posts that came with the numbers and popped them into place on the plexi.
We used construction adhesive to fill the drill holes and smeared a bunch on the back of the plexi for good measure...
That sucker is never coming off now!
I actually jumped up and down in the driveway and did a little happy dance when the numbers were finally on. They are exactly what I was hoping for - totally custom house numbers for around $40.